Friday, November 18, 2011

Food Friday: My favorite meal this week

On Monday I made the bestest meal of the week. It was a hit with everyone at the table.
On the menu was ( I didn't think to take actual pictures, so you'll have to live with someone else's this time)

Chili Almond Asparagus
-Oven Fried Drumsticks(the original recipe I found on allrecipes.com but see below on how I have changed it)
-Roasted dill potatoes
-Chili Almond Asparagus (I found this recipe on Pinterest...really are you surprised?) And let me tell you this was to DIE for!!!! This kids didn't eat this, they opted for a regular side salad. But veggies are veggies so let them have the salad.
-Baked apples with sweet vanilla milk for dessert.


Oven Fried Drumsticks

  • 2 cups low fat sour cream
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 chicken drumsticks
  • 6 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
  • 4 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
  • 4 tablespoons crushed dried rosemary**
  • 3 teaspoons dried sage**
  • 3 tablespoons garlic powder**
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • **Instead of using separate herbs and spices I used about 6 tbsp(maybe I didn't actually measure accurately) of poultry seasoning and a little extra garlic powder.
  • Directions

    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a cooling rack on top of a large cookie sheet. Spray the rack with vegetable cooking spray.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream and minced garlic. In another bowl, stir together the cornflake crumbs, rosemary, sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the sour cream mixture, then roll in the cornflake mixture. Arrange chicken pieces on top of the cooling rack.
    3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, until meat is no longer pink, and juices run clear.

This is a favorite at our house. It also makes really really yummy chicken fingers!!


The roasted potatoes are my kids favorite way of doing potatoes. Here's what I do, it's really very basic, but they are so yummy.

Roasted Dill potatoes(forgive me for no real measurements...and no picture)

6 potatoes, cut up in bite sized pieces
Splash of olive oil
Seasoning salt
Dill seasoning(I have a Pampered Chef seasoning that we love...but it is almost all gone)

Place potatoes on baking sheet. Add oil and seasonings and stir to coat. Bake in oven warmed at 400F for 30-40minute or until golden brown. I usually stir them after about 20 minutes or so so that they get nice and toasty on all sides.

For dessert we had baked apples. I didn't have any ice cream or whip cream to go with them so instead I made some sweet vanilla milk( I just made this up on a whim but it turned out really nice)

Sweet Vanilla Milk

In a sauce pan over high heat bring 1 1/2 cups whole milk, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil, reduce hear and let simmer for 20 minutes. serve over baked apples. 

It was the perfect touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a message

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...