Friday, February 13, 2009

Multi-Texture Blanket, Part 1

A few weeks ago I received an interesting email with an interesting project proposal. This lady has a 6 year old autistic daughter who loves different textures. The feel of different textures calm her when she is having a melt down. She asked me if I could make her a textured blanket. I was thrilled with the idea. So while I have been doing some less fun projects, my mind has been mulling over this project. Today I decided to get a start on it. I went through my stash of fabric to see what I had on hand that would add texture to this blanket, I wasn't surprised by all that I found, but there are a few pieces that I am going to have to go looking for. I really want to make this blanket special, not just practical. I want it to be something that this little girl just loves. I want it to do the job that it is intended for, but I want it to be adorable, to die for cute. I plan on doing some appliques on some of the squares, things like flowers, ladybugs, butterflies, ABC's, 123's etc. These are the squares that I put together today, I like the idea of the flannel rag quilt squares, they are soft with some extra texture.

If anybody reading this has some ideas(is there anybody out there reading this...or am I just talking to myself like I do so frequently?) feel free to leave a comment, I'd love some additional input to keep the gears turning in my brain. I'll keep you all updated with my progress. This is my new pet project.

1 comment:

  1. You could use some of that fur fabric that people make stuffed animals out of, or maybe some crush velvet? That would add to the texture.

    I love it so far!

    ReplyDelete

leave a message

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...